Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Snow Days

The weatherman predicted 2-4" of snow today, and I was hoping for school to be cancelled so we could have a snow day. Usually, we don't get to plan our snow days -- those days when we throw the schedule out the window and just play & drink hot chocolate. (As it turns out, I didn't get one today after all.) I suppose it's a common acknowledgement that we need snow days now and then, regardless of the weather. Do we declare our own snow days now and then, or can we trust that life will do its own job of mixing things up?

So I started thinking... How would I do on my commitment to my list of SEVEN if it were a snow day? Can you take a day off from doing the right thing? And that brings me to attitude: this morning the children and I talked about the fact that what matters is WHY you do things, and not so much WHAT you do. (This was to help them with patience and love with their siblings -- to give each other the benefit of the doubt. I'll keep you posted on how that goes.) If I pursue my seven things each day with a spirit of drudgery and obligation, then I crave snow days to let me off that hook. But if I have decided that these are essential ingredients to bring peace, happiness and strength into my life, a snow day would naturally include them -- along with other restful and delightful changes.

So I'm back to why I'm sticking to my list of seven, instead of what is actually on that list. I am finding confidence in my effort, because it allows for growth and meaning along with a light dusting of snow.

1 comment:

  1. You make me think. You always have. I am so glad you put together this blog. I love you!

    ReplyDelete