Friday, February 19, 2010

Addiction

I was thinking about addiction (this, after hearing lots of opinions about Tiger Woods today), and wondering how it works. Maybe addiction is just a higher level of habitually giving in to temptation -- when you get to the point where it doesn't feel like a temptation, but just the normal way to live, choose, be. Lately I've been struggling... well, that implies I'm resisting, working, striving, fighting --so I guess I'd have to say that I'm in the beginnning stages of failing... with my bad habits. I feel myself going down hill. I get an out-of-body experience, watching myself doing things I really don't want to be doing. Often during a day, a thought will pop in my head: "You could go upstairs and read ___" (insert current novel here), or "How about some ice cream?" for example. My ability to ignore those drop-in, pop-up temptations waxes and wanes. I was pondering today on what influences my strength to resist (or not). I'm not sure I've got an exact formula, but my current success (I don't want to break my record so far), my current focus (I know what I really want and that isn't it), my current level of energy (I'm well-nurtured spiritually and physically) and my current degree of faith (confidence that the Lord will help me, certainty that this is His will) are definitely essential ingredients in the recipe. As far as accountability, yesterday was 2/7 (exercise & eat right); today was 4/7 (Plan, Write, Eat right & Read). I definitely need to work on the Be Sober one :>

No comments:

Post a Comment