Here are my seven daily steps: Plan, Read, Pray, Write, Eat, Exercise, and Be Sober.
Plan = Take time to evaluate my priorities and my obligations, making space for the little things, and keeping track of what I'm supposed to be doing. I will review that every day, and rework it to fit the current situation (thus, staying reasonable).
Read = Study the scriptures (and other modern revelation) each day. I will also read the Book of Mormon (2 pages a day will get me to finish it twice by the end of this year). I've collected all my books in a basket that I brought back from Austria. :>
Write = I will capture thoughts and impressions and great quotes as I read and pray and plan. I will keep a specific journal just for that (okay, a leftover composition book) along with a few pens and highlighters handy.
Pray = I will pray before I begin my planning, reading & writing, as well as afterward, to ask the Lord's direction and blessing on my efforts and my day, and to dedicate myself to Him.
Eat = Eat healthy, wholesome foods. I want to be more organized and live more providently, especially in the menus, storage and preparation areas.
Exercise = I will exercise seven times a week (I do two types on Monday and Friday, so I can skip Saturday and Sunday). I'm a little behind because I fell off the wagon last week, so I'm doubling my Wednesdays for the month of February.
Be Sober = Just what it means! I know this usually applies to alcohol, but in the scriptures Alma recommends this to his sons, and it struck me as the best way to describe what I need. I have a few downfalls (yes, okay... addictions) that trap me in and suck me down. I could probably handle them in little doses, but how do you only watch a little of the TV show you're following, stop eating after only one cookie, or put the novel down before you've found out what happens?!? My only recourse is to go cold turkey, and just say no. In a nod to the necessity of being reasonable, I am allowing myself to indulge with supervision. This means, for example, that I can read while I'm keeping children company as they fall asleep, or when Dave still hasn't turned out the light, and I can even have sweets if I share with Dave. The TV shows are going to have to wait, though.
P.S. = I plan to pray and read the Book of Mormon at night. (Get it? Pray/Scriptures... P.S.?) This is included in my Pray and Read at the top of the page, but I thought it was cute to add a P.S. to my list of Seven so that I would be sure to keep on track.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's my 7:
ReplyDelete1. Scriptures (following the ward goals)
2. Prayers (morning & night; taking time to listen)
3. Homework (just do it. stop procrastinating)
4. Exercise (every weekday, in the MORNING)
5. Bed Time (on time, follow a good routine)
6. Computer Time (stop waisting time on useless things like facebook and games)
7. TV time (only watch TV that I have planned as a social even - LOST, Am.Idol, etc.)
What do you think?
I recently was reading Elder Scott's talk called "To Acquire Spiritual Guidance" in the Nov 2009 Conference Ensign. It has some really great guidelines for studying scripture and attending church. I really think you should read it. It has changed my life.
ReplyDelete