Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Habits

One of the reasons I started this project was to develop habits that would serve me better and stay with me when I hit bumps in my road. I attended a funeral and wondered, "What habits would I keep while facing such a tremendous challenge and fundamental change?" "Which habits would fall by the wayside?"

We now have at least one answer to the latter question: this blog and just about every aspect of my list! (And it didn't even take anything as drastic as losing a loved one.) Friday brought my parents into town, and Saturday brought over two feet of snow. I think I would have done all right despite the snowstorm, but it was having company that threw me. It felt awkward and rude to ignore them and go "do my own thing." In retrospect, I'm sure they wouldn't have minded; they might have enjoyed the respite to have time for themselves.

I see now that I will have to plan how to stick to (or creatively rearrange) my routines and activities. Sometimes I will be able to foresee challenge and change coming, but other times I will need to adapt on the go. Building up my habit muscles should at least give me some options.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry. Kathryn and I will keep up with you. (Kat wants in, by the way.) No more slacking for any of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! I am so glad that you didn't give up just because you weren't perfect. So often when I use some cute reason to do better I have a hard time getting going again when I mess up. Like, it's New Years! Then I forget one day or something honestly happens and I had a hard day and then it's not New Years anymore and I ruined it. That's why I have decided to set goals to do better not perfect, so that I can keep going if I miss a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! So I'm back to trying YET AGAIN, since I missed the last few days...

    ReplyDelete