I have been a fool many times, and I'm sure I will be many times more. I am feeling especially foolish as I look back at the last several weeks and see how much time I have wasted and how many bad habits I have fostered. But it occurs to me as I write that I don't have the right perspective: yes, I've stayed in a few favorite ruts, but I have accomplished some good as well.
Tonight I just finished helping a dear friend submit her final coursework for a Bachelor's Degree. She has worked so hard, and it has been a privilege to support her. I'm tired, the house is messy, but the BIG THING is done. Maybe I should look back at my last few weeks (months, years) with that perspective: I wasn' t perfect at everything, but I did get some good things -- things that matter, things that last -- done. Then I wouldn't feel so foolish, after all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm working really hard to see things with a better perspective, too. I've spent too much time this school year beating myself up about all the things I "failed" at, and I can't always see all of the areas where I'm improving. I guess part of what makes it hard is that I'm super impatient and I want to be better NOW... Oh wait, I'm supposed to be getting better at being patient. Oops. haha. I have the feeling you can probably relate. :)
ReplyDeleteMom, you are the best. No one can look at your children and say that you haven't accomplished more than nearly every woman on the planet. Just because your house isn't always perfectly clean doesn't mean that you aren't going to live with your family for eternity.
ReplyDeleteJust sayin'