Sunday, April 11, 2010

Karl Joseph Savage

Dave's brother Karl died on Wednesday, suddenly, shockingly. I feel sad, devastated, and sobered. Part of the sorrow is I didn't even know what I was missing until it was gone. I still don't fully comprehend. I have always loved and admired Karl, and I have come to respect and honor him. He was faithful and did what he felt was right, no matter the cost to himself. I want to be able to do that. His loss reminds me that there are no guarantees, and shows me that I have been forgetting that: blithely tossing my time around without care or thought for what really matters, what really lasts. Space, time and words could never suffice to describe the sorrow, the loss, the grief --but joy, repentance and gratitude can come from, shine forth, and bless this pain and sancify it (and us).

No comments:

Post a Comment