I've heard that seven is the highest number we can instantly grasp and see as itself: anything higher must be broken into parts in our minds to be understood. Perhaps it is also the biggest step forward we can take, without having to break things down into smaller pieces. I'm beginning to think of the power of seven as the strength of steady, dedicated and reasonable effort.
Years ago, I found myself waiting for someone or something to hand me the perfect system, whether to organize the children's chores, to structure my family, or to live my life. I eventually realized that no ideal system could be dropped into place -- I would have to develop it myself gradually for it to be of any use. I also sheepishly admitted that even if I could be handed the absolutely perfect way to do something--anything!--I couldn't follow it because I myself wasn't perfect.
I have already chosen the path I will follow -- that of my Savior, Jesus Christ and His restored gospel. So I am looking for a way to take that journey, HOW to travel, rather than which way or a certain destination. In that spirit, I commit myself to seven things which I will do each day for seven sets of seven weeks before I reach seven sets of seven years (of age -- yes! 49). (Honestly, I hope I will be able to lose seven sets of seven pounds along the way. :>) I will try to be steady and reasonable, and move forward seven dedicated steps at a time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Seven is sure powerful. I am so proud of you!
ReplyDelete